Dressed in black

  Portrait of a young Miriam Makeba 



Imagine living in a world where you are only certain of moments, in a world where tomorrow is not promised, and you count every second. Imagine regardless of all the ugliness, you still show up on the death line pretty. Pretty much the story of the black woman!

Black women are tailored pretty, dressing up and showing up is really part of who we are, every day is a great chance to dress up and show up. From the beginning of time, we are blessed with style class, and strength. 
This blog is about two women whose style is inspiring and timeless. Get me a new closet! 




Miriam Makeba - Clothed in perfect melodies 


"In the mind, in the heart, I was always home. I always imagined, really, going back home"

Miriam Makeba was a South African songwriter/singer and activist, Zenzile Mirriam Makeba was born on the 3rd of March 1932 in  Johannesburg South Africa. Apartheid crept into the country 16 sixteen years later after she was born, this was a very dark period for South Africa and Africa at large, as many were facing the same oppression. 

"Africa has her mysteries, and even a wise man cannot understand them. But a wise man respects them"

Mirriam had a very simple elegant sense of style, that allowed her to express her love for the continent's multiple prints and fabrics, however not limited to one style. 


She was not shy to show up pretty, Mirriam always had the biggest headwrap carrying the pride of Africa.


"African music, though very old, is always being rediscovered in the West"

Mama Africa (a nickname she got from the world) represented the essence of the black woman, that extra something God put in us, which allows us to shine in the darkest time. She could go from glamourous to the girl next door but maintain, the same classy look.


"I kept my culture. I kept the music of my roots. Through my music, I became this voice and image of Africa and the people without even realizing"

Miriam went into exile after she had been touring the UK and USA, she returned to attend her mother's funeral. Of which the then government stopped her from entering the country and ceased her passport, forcing her into exile and permanently moving to Italy. This was a period when Europeans were obsessed with the sounds that came from the continent. So we lived happily in Italy but sadly missed her home

"It was hard to be away from home, but I am glad that I am home now"

Many young Africans moved to different parts of Europe, among them were Jazz legend and activist Hugh Masekela, the couple made perfect melodies from 1964 - to 1966, the young marriage did not last as long as their legacies. Mirriam went on and married Caribbean political activist Stokely Carmichael, and later Jazz singer Sonny Pilay.

"I see other black women imitate my style, which is no style at all but just letting our hair be itself. They call it the Afro Look"

Her hairstyles were nothing close to boring, she rocked every hairstyle quite well, whether braids afro or headwraps, Miriam knew the liberating power of letting our hair be. 

 "I look at an ant and I see myself: a native South African, endowed by nature with a strength much greater than my size so I might cope with the weight of a racism that crushes my spirit"

We will never ignore the fact that this woman was beautiful, she had such a captivating beauty that was easy on the eye, a beauty that spoke to many, a beauty she loved to show and we loved to watch. 


  "Age is wisdom if one has lived one's life properly"

For me, her fashion style went so well with the message she delivered, on and off the stage, she sang so beautifully, her sounds were so soothing, she sang for Africa, of Africa and wore it too, pretty well. She was truly Mama Africa

 "Malaika, nakupenda Malaika"



Winnie Mandela - Winning Closet

“To those who oppose us, we say, ‘Strike the woman, and you strike the rock”

Every morning was a new day for new horror. Winnie Mandela was born on 26th September 1936, she was born covered with such a great light, in the midst of darkness. Mama Winnie was one woman who would go to the war dressed in white and pearls. 


“There is no longer anything I can fear. There is nothing the government has not done to me. There isn’t any pain I haven’t known.”

Mama Winnie made a point to show up dressed in grace and power, one would think she had a lot on her plate to think about fashion, but fashion to Winnie Mandela was never something she had to think about. She was born fabulous. Winnie's fashion was very expressive, she was what I call, a switcher (sticking to nothing) wearing anything, but always classy.

"Together, hand in hand, with our matches and our necklaces, we shall liberate this country."


Every photograph told her story, she was a young mother and wife to a man who was locked up for the crime of Justice, holding the hope of the masses while looking flawless. 



            "I am the product of the masses of my country and the product of my enemy."

Mama Winnie not only had a good head over her shoulders, she always had a good hat and wrap, stylish and fashionable. 
Whether she is out protesting or addressing the nation, she gave hope and hats. 



"I will not allow the selfless efforts of my husband and his friends to be abandoned. I will continue the struggle for a free and equal South Africa."

The women of the struggle (another blog) were ready to change the world, breaking mountains and parting rivers. Mama Winnie's precious smile was enough hope for everyone she knew and met, with her smile and a pair of jewels she took on the struggle head-on.  


“It was in the townships where we shed so much blood. Nothing could have been achieved without the sacrifice of the people. Black people.”

Wherever she was mama Winnie never sacrificed her fashion, her love for the people was evident through all that she did, she lived among the people whom she served, and every day in the life of Winnie Mandela was a fashion show.



"It dawned on me then that you either had to survive apartheid, or you had to perish with it. And I decided to survive"

If you would stand in the face of death and still be beautifully dressed, then you win! Mama Winnie looked beautiful in everything she wore, she looked the part.  




            “I’m not sorry. I will never be sorry. I would do everything I did again if I had to. Everything.”

Winnie Mandela was more than a Freedom fighter, mother, and wife, she was a fashion icon, unapologetically true to her people, the African continent, and herself in every sense of the word. She was never sorry, she had nothing to be sorry about, everything she did, she did so stylishly well. 



Comments

Popular Posts